I Have recently discovered two simple things:
- How easy it is to make yogurt
- How useful yogurt is in cooking
Live plain yogurt
Let the milk cool to warm, if using a thermometer 40 C is the right temerature.
Add 2 tablespoons of live yogurt to a bowl with a lid. Mix in a little of the warm milk, add the rest of the milk ensuring the yogurt is well mixed.
Put the lid on the bowl, wrap in a towel and place somewhere warm (the airing cupboard is good) for 4-5 hours and then you should have yogurt.
The yogurt can be frozen and then used to make more yogurt, I have frozen some yogurt, but not yet used the frozen yogurt to make more yogurt. I will write an update on this once I have used the frozen yogurt.
I have this evening made our third batch of yogurt using the yogurt previously made.
- It is nice with honey
- Use in place of cream when cooking
- Add fruit for breakfast or a pudding
- Works well added to pasta, eg pasta, peas,sweetcorn, chicken and yogurt
- replace butter for yogurt for Spaghetti and Marmite
Now I know how easy it is to make yogurt the possibilities are endless…